Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fuji Rock to Tokyo: Scissoring the Sisters Part 1.

My feet are soaked, my raincoat is so wet it's no longer waterproof, as I stand at the foot hills of the Nigita mountain ranges patiently waiting for the Scissor Sisters to begin Fuji Rock Festival’s final performance. In an instance, the stage is alive as a multitude of lights dart across the natural arena, lighting up a 30ft backdrop of Mapplethorpe’s famous derriere. The opening and title track from the Scissor Sisters’ latest album Night WorK explodes into the crowd preparing us for some high energy and uber flamboyant entertainment. 

As I watch lead singer Jake Shears prance gregariously around the stage in nothing but his underpants, while vocalist Anna Matronic banters flirtatiously with the audience about boobs, butts, and blowjobs. I hesitate for a split second about the upcoming interview I have with them in Tokyo. However, that hesitation vanishes as the keys to ‘Laura’ kick in and the ten thousand Japanese punters in front of me start dancing. It seems the dance for the night is a synchronised Fuji Rock 2 step. Moving side to side and some more, I recognise other tracks from their debut album, Scissor Sisters; their break through songs ‘Take Your Mama’, and ‘Comfortably Numb’ are well received while Shears and Matronic paddle each other on stage. Soon after, I hear the song that introduced me to the Sisters, ‘I Don’t Feel Like Dancing’ from their sophomore album Ta-Da, and move out from under the trees to join the rest of the punters on lower ground. Embracing the rain and the Fuji Rock Mountain Spirits (as MGMT called it the night before), I take off my yellow plastic rain cap and give the Fuji Rock 2 step all I have. The set continues with Shears, Matronic, Del Marquis (Lead Guitar/Bass), Babydaddy (Multi-instrumentalist) and Randy Reel (Drums) all performing an enthralling and theatrical set. Finishing the night with ‘Invisible Light’ and ‘Filthy/Gorgeous’ the Scissor Sisters not only held the entire crowd in the rain at 12am, but kept them dancing until the early hours of the next morning.

As I prepare notes on the way to Tokyo, I start making comparisons between last night’s gig, and the previous time I saw the Scissor Sisters, closing Splendour in the Grass 2006. Personally I thought they were both great sets, and both great festivals; however it would be interesting to hear their opinions and experiences of the major festivals around the world. Having only sampled a handful of festivals worldwide, my conversation regarding the idiosyncrasies of the majors is somewhat limited. My favourite for all those who have visited Roskilde Festival is the common discussion of the liberal attitude of the Danes themselves. There is only one festival in the world where fence space is limited for peeing because it’s filled with blonde bombshells squatting, Calsberg in hand; or Australia’s Big Day Out where bogans feel empowered by removing their shirts to expose their sacred constellation tattoo. Being a punter who usually stays in a half strung tent it might be good to get an artist’s perspective on how the rest of the Fests roll. 

A'Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment